13 August 2008

I heart Dart

I heart Dart - my new favorite tee shirt.

Today I did something I have been planning on and talking about doing since April, I rode the Dart to work. One of those really important belts in Eric’s car needs replaced so he took my car today to work and I took the Dart.

When I first showed up to the Park Lane station in the heat of the morning and with no sunglasses to block the glare of the sun off the screen of the machine that prints the pass, I realized Dart only takes cash. Who do they think they are? Even Coke machines and newspaper stands take credit cards! So I had to get back in the car, drive across the street, get cash out of the ATM, buy something so I could get change, U-turn in crazy traffic, re-park, go through the glaring screen pass process again and then run up 2 flights of stairs to catch the train about to depart.

The train was packed! There was absolutely nowhere to sit and hardly a 1 foot space for me to stand in the middle of an aisle. The Dart is popular these days. Now I know why. It’s greatness. In the time it usually takes me to get half way to work I was at work and I didn’t even have to check my rear-view mirrors to make sure the car behind saw I was stopping because of a wreck or deal with idiot drivers who don’t realize that cutting in front of you in rush hour does them no good.

From now on I am riding the Dart everywhere I go, or at least the stations it goes to. One of the best things about the Dart too is that my company will pay for my monthly pass which makes times like these with gas prices as they are even more beneficial. I would say that I’m being green but really, I’m being lazy and cheap and I’m not ashamed one bit.

5 comments:

KimDoll said...

ah, the train. i LOVE the train. used to take it to work every day for about 2 years. i miss it dearly. the worst part about it was that my commute on it was only 5 stations long.

but it's not the same riding with a toddler who wants to befriend everyone around, including the homeless people and the riff-raff who repeat "na mean?" after every sentence. a lot easier to ignore them when i have my nose in a book than with cute charlotte screaming "HI!" and "Train!" at them.

Michelle said...

funny you say that because i was thinking about this very thing on my ride to work this morning as i eyeballed all the other passengers. i wondered how on earth anyone with kids rides the train especially during the peak hours. i had to stand all the way to my stop again this morning and like you, my rides only 5 stops so its not too bad. forunately i havent ran into any homeless men yet but there are some crazy ass looking people in that thing.

Missie Rose said...

i'm glad you've finally decided to listen to your wiser older sister. :)

KimDoll said...

just don't ever ride it when it's raining. you'd think less people would take it then, but you'd be wrong. i once had to let 3 trains pass me bc they were so jam packed. by the 4th, i pushed my way on, and rode the whole way (LITERALLY) with my nose against the door.

Michelle said...

That last scenario about the rain was me this morning. I woke up an extra 30 minutes so I could fix my hair, I'm getting a new license today with the new last name and thus a new picture. As soon as I stepped out of the car and walked up to the platform the combination of rain and Texas humidity turned me into a frizz ball of mess. Fortunately though the trains were less crowded and I got a seat. I think more people are doing the 4/10 work week and get Fridays off.