14 July 2008

Introducing Target

Friday night on our way to return our new bedding at Target we pulled into the parking lot and noticed on the grassy area outside about 20 cats lounging. We stopped immediately to investigate, thinking that maybe we were being punked. The cats, mostly all full-size besides the 4 or 5 that were kittens, were just lounging in the grass. It was so bizarre. As we stood there bewildered a few other cars stopped and we all chatted about how strange what we were seeing was. After a couple of minutes a SUV pulled up and all the cats went running to the driver side of the car when a grey-haired women stepped out holding cans of cat food. This lady, Jacqui I think her name was, has been feeding these cats, who are totally feral, for about 10 years now. She's even paid for all of them to be spade and neutered so they stop pro-creating. She's a big Bob Barker fan.

We had a nice chat with Jacqui and asked her about one of the kittens, who couldn't have been more than 7 weeks old. Apparently this little one must have been recently abandoned by one of the near-by apartment residents. As the kitten was eating I walked up to it and picked it up. That little kitty is now our little kitty. How could we just leave it there to that sort of life!? I know, I know, I know. We appear to be turning into "those cat people" but there was just no way to leave that tiny little baby out there in the wild.

So Target, the newest addition to our family, is happily at home right now playing boisterously with David Bowie. They get along so well. Target is timid around Eric and I but LOVES Bowie and Bowie is enjoying the 24-hour entertainment. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Gender to be confirmed after his/her vet appointment.

I love Target, now in more ways than one. Next time I go at dusk though I'll be sure to just park the car instead of taking another kitten home.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Haven't you had enough cats to be able to tell (boy or girl) just by looking??? On second thought, I could've sworn that my cat J-Lo (originally named Tank) was a boy...until he--->she wound up preggers, lol. In my defense, I didn't do too much investigating before deciding SHE was a boy...I really wanted a fat, lazy Tom-cat (kinda like Clover was) But Target can be a nice boy or girl name:)

Michelle said...

She/He is so fuzzy that you can't see anything and even if I could I don't think you can tell when they are that young. I think its a boy mostly because I want it to be a boy. If it's a girl we're thinking Targe', you know like French style.

KimDoll said...

Oh, what a sweet story! I'm so happy you found Target. And such a cute name!