19 September 2008

Hernia and a love seat

So during my yoga class last night I was in extended side angle and instead of binding like I usually do I decided to take it easy on my back, shoulders and neck and instead intensified by putting my left arm on the outside of my left foot. Usually you put your left elbow on your left knee or you can put your arm all the way down to the floor or bind. Another alternate intensification is to put your hand on the outside of your left knee toward the floor, this keeps your spine aligned properly. Isn't yoga exciting!?!?!?! Anyways. After a few breaths in this pose the instructor calming instructed us "with your next inhale and using your core strength pull yourself back up to Warrior Two". Which I did and have done a million, ok maybe more like a thousand, times before. But this time on my way up and using my core strength something in my core strength went "pop". It hurt. I thought for a millisecond that I had just given myself a hernia. I put my hand on the bottom outside of my stomach searching for that "egg" bulging sign that would tell me I had indeed herniated myself, I found nothing. Shew. I then immediately went into child's pose and stayed there for the rest of the class and through my shevasana. When class was over I limped to the car and went straight home. Actually, I stopped at Target to get a Brita filter then Blockbuster to return "The Original Kings of Comedy". Both stops had been on my "to-do" list for far too long. After cooking dinner and watching a TV show with Eric I went to take a shower and inspect my abdominal area. Bulging? No, check. Egg-look? No, check. Tenderness? Yes, check. Close-call? YES, check. I'm sure you have to do a lot more to actually get a hernia but it still really worried me.

In other news, we're purchasing a love seat and ottoman this evening. I found it on craigslist and it's only 3-months old from IKEA. It matches our other couch perfectly. We've really needed something else to go in our living room. Now we'll be able to accommodate more than 2 people, which up to this point has made entertaining interesting. Here's a picture of the love seat and ottoman. I'm so excited. I feel like our home is really becoming a home. You know when you first start to purchase big items like a kitchen table, a nice bed, matching plates, more than 4 forks, etc, it sort of makes you feel legitimate like you are officially an adult and a married-person and therefore you look taller and talk smarter. That's a word, right? I feel that way. Especially after I talked to Missie today and was told that the pictures of our condo that I posted on myspace were "impressive" she used that or another flattering adult-like- word. With every furniture and housing purchase I feel a little more official. There's another part of me that misses that independence and the feeling that at any moment I could leave it all and move to Moscow or somewhere really far away where you can't bring more than one suitcase. That independence is not totally gone but there certainly is a lot more furniture in it's way now. I think we'll have a house party soon. Not the house party where people pass out on your patio and a keg is present but the kind where intellect, good wine and savvy conversation is had about politics, the Stock Market scares and who just had a baby.

Happy Birthday Missie "boo bear" Eggert and Happy Friday everyone!!!!!!!

No comments: